Winners for the 2016 ASB Bright Sparks Awards have now been announced!
*Technological theme refers to an idea that leads to a project that contains hardware (electronics), software (programming), mechatronics (smart mechanical) or a combination of these.
Meet our six judges of the 2016 ASB Bright Sparks >>>
The competition is free to enter. You must complete an entry pack and send it back to us with your project no later than Wednesday, 28 September 2016.
Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org to request a free entry pack, which includes free postage for your project.
The best inventions make life easier for the people who use them.
While our judges will be looking for evidence of technological sophistication, it's more important that your project works! While a hover board might make for a fantastic entry, be realistic about your chances of finishing it.
Try using our 'Ideas Generator' sheet to explore your thoughts.
Get your questions answered in our forum.
Connect with like-minded teachers and students who share a passion for electronics, technology and software development.
Here you can:
Here are some tips to shoot an awesome video!
- Keep your video as short as possible – aim for 90 seconds.
- Have a neutral background to keep the viewer’s eyes on you and your project.
- Include shots of both yourself and your project.
- Write a script for yourself and try to explain your project in 2 paragraphs. You only have a short time to explain so keep your presentation to the important parts.
- Try and explain the project in plain English - no fancy words! Would your family understand what it is you created?
- Practice by doing a trial filming. If you are a whizz with editing video, then film lots and edit so the best bits are left in.
- Film horizontally to take advantage of the whole screen.
- Shoot video in the daylight to ensure lighting is even. Don’t shoot with the sun or a light behind you. Try shooting inside in a room with plenty of light.
- Make sure there are no loud sounds around. Filming where there is a main road right outside is probably not a great idea.
- Have fun while filming and don’t forget to smile!